MIYA IS NOT A HUG ME TYPE DOG !



Miya is a white Northern Inuit dog. Seen here with my other dog Ben the black Lab. I rescued Miya from an animal rescue center here in Glasgow when she was about 14 months old. I had been to see her a couple of times and decided I wanted to give her the type of home that would let her reach her full potential. I lead a fairly active doggy life. Involved in dog training and spend a lot of weekends doing dog related stuff, like trekking and agility stuff. So I can give a dog like Miya a good life. She was hard work at first, I am her third owner. She was bought as a puppy from a breeder in Central Scotland and given to young children as a Christmas present. I can imagine that at eight weeks old she must have looked like a stuffed pure white wolf cub some kid would have on their bed. Who couldn't resist her. Three months later and sprouting somewhat, she became a bit of a handful. Originally cross bred from German Shepherds and Huskies, Northern Inuits are not Labs. And need a bit more experience when handling and training. This I found out very early on. Like many Christmas presents the kids soon tired of her and turned no doubt to the games consul that offers similar or more reward for a lot less effort. Mum and Dad were not interested in taking up the challenge and so at three months, off she went to the shelter. There she stayed for about four months before her second owner decided she would look good walking next to him along the road. She was adopted for a second time and went to her new home. She lasted there for another three months before being returned once more. The reason this time was that she was 'smelly and jumped up on the table'. The owner's circumstances were also changing and now had no room in his life for such a big dog. So back she went to the rescue center for another four months. In her first year she had spent seven months in a rescue center. When she came to me I had to win her over and as I've previously wrote in this blog, early influences are absolutely vital in helping to shape a dogs eventual temperament. I had my work cut out for me. I'm happy to say she is a much more relaxed dog now. I've had her now for three years. She competes at agility and has reached senior advanced level in road safety obedience. She is very vocal, not barking but typical husky growlly talking. She is clearly fond of me and follows me everywhere, but every now and then I take hold of her and give her a big cuddle. If I were to indulge in a bit of anthropomorphism I guess I would say she reacts like when you were that awkward teenager. Remember when you were say fourteen and dragged off to another family get together be it Christmas or Thanksgiving. You arrive there and know that aunty maud is going to be there. She must be a hundred and fifty by now. Smelling of moth balls and denture tablets. With both her hands she grabs each ear and pulls you towards her for a kiss. Wearing the most awful shade of violet lipstick. she insists on smacking you straight on the mouth, yeuck. Thats how Miya reacts when I give her a big cuddle. As soon as I release her she voices her Yeuck, wags her tail and runs off to get me a ball to play with.        Do I really smell of moth balls??
Thankfully Ben my black Lab doesn't think so he loves cuddles.....

See you soon...........





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT IS THE BEST DOG FOOD?

ANOTHER DOG ATTACK

PREPERATION FOR A NEW ARRIVAL