ANXIETY - SEPERATION

A friend of mine recently had to have her dog put to sleep. I read somewhere that some people like to think that when their pet dies it goes over Rainbow bridge. Rainbow bridge leads to a meadow where your pet dog plays, waiting for the day when you join it and together you both go to heaven. I can see how that can be comforting to know that you join up again in the after life with your faithful friend who has no doubt been a part of your life for between 10 or 20 years. My Spice was 19 years young when her time ran out. That is a fair old age for a dog to live. What is more remakable was that she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer when she was 9 or 10 and the vet told us at the time that she had maybe 12 months left to live. Spice was a great dog, a medium sized brindle coloured cross breed. Extremely intelligent. Back whe we just got her from a rescue home, I knew very little about canine behavior or obedience training. But she managed to teach me enough for us to form a good relationship. I never understood her in the same way as I understand the dogs I have now. And that was because I never knew anything about how dogs think. So looking back, and knowing what I know now I have to marvel at how she was able to get me to understand her. They say in all the text books I read that dogs dont have emotions like people, and that we shouldnt try to give them associate them with human traits. I am trying to sell my house at this time and I'm reminded of the only time before when we were selling our house. Same thing happened we had the house up for sale for months, with viewer after viewer trudging through our flat with not one taker. This lasted for six months, it was the most stressful time of my life. It was coming up to the summer holidays and still no takers. So we decided to take the house off the market whilst we went on holiday. Spice went into kennels for two weeks and off we went. The kennels she went to were really good and knew spice very well so she was happy to go there and usually ended up in the kennel owners house with her own dog for company. When we came back we imediately put the house back up for sale. My wife was pregnant with our first child and we had to move from the one bedroom flat to a house with more rooms and a garden for spice. The first week we put the house on the market we had a viewer on the Monday night. Along they came and seemed very interested. Next day the called and asked could they bring their parents to see the flat on the Thursday. Great a genuinely interested viewer. On the Thursday I came home from work as normal, however not normal was that I didnt take Spice out straight away. The thought was that I would wait till just before the viewer came and then I would take her out whilst my wife showed them round the flat. We lived above a newsagent and as luck would have it we had no milk. So I nipped downstairs telling Spice that she wasnt going out yet, amd I promised her I would take her out for a lovely long walk when the viewers came in about an hour. I shut the door and went downstairs. I was litterally only five minutes and when I came back up I opened the front door to the hallway and a foot wide strip of carpet had been torn from the front door all the way back to the wall. The viewers were due in 30 minutes. Now all the books will tell you this was not Spice saying `and thats for leaving me in here and not taking me out`. But it certainly felt like it. Dogs dont have human emotions, they dont hold grudges, they dont wait to get you back. Wouldnt life be a whole lot simpler if we as humans learned a thing or two from our canine friends. There would be less fighting over trivial matters. Bye for now.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT IS THE BEST DOG FOOD?

ANOTHER DOG ATTACK

PREPERATION FOR A NEW ARRIVAL